Friday, July 04, 2008

South End Buttery, Boston

You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.
Wesley Snipes, White Men Can't Jump

Wesley Snipes isn't the only person confused about what makes a biscuit. Most of America (Mr Snipes included) will describe a biscuit as soft and cake-like, not hard and crunchy. The UK tax man tried to argue that Jaffa Cakes (soft, baked treats popular in Britain) are biscuits, which is amusing, since Wesley and the tax man don't usually see eye-to-eye. And despite only selling "cookies" and "crackers", America's Nabisco was originally known as the National Biscuit Company. I guess Nacracko sounded a little too close to crack 'ho.

buttery country biscuit

So, what kind of biscuit did I have for breakfast this morning? A Buttery Country Biscuit from the South End Buttery, 314 Shawmutt Avenue, Boston, Tel +1 (617) 482-1015. Soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside, and crumbly all over.

It tasted pretty good, but I have to wonder about the wisdom of serving a biscuit as a sandwich. Not only do biscuits disintegrate under pressure, but this one was such a towering stack of biscuit, baked egg, bacon and biscuit, that you'd need a Cameron Diaz sized mouth to have any hope of getting your jaws around it. It was also missing the aged cheddar, and very dry, with no condiments or juices to balance things out. I now understand why Southerners and soldiers usually take their biscuits with gravy.

Other options include bagels, "breakfast breads" (banana-date nut loaf, for example), pastries, and cupcakes. I think next time I'll try "Eggs in the Hole" or a "Peanut Buttery" (nutella and homemade peanut butter on toasted croissant). With most breakfast dishes priced under $6, the South End Buttery offers pretty good value.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jane O' said...

I had to laugh at your Cameron Diaz reference. I don't like to anything too large because I have TMJ and my mouth just doesn't open all that wide. A big biscuit sandwich would be out of the question for me.
I enjoyed visitng your blog. I haven't popped in in quite a while.
Besides Thyme for Herbs I also write An Herbal Bedfellow, a blog you might be interested in.
http://anherbal bedfellow.blogspot.com

5/7/08 08:16  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Jamie,

You're evil! Hehehe. Now I totally HAVE to have a Peanut Buttery!!! Mmm... fattening.

xox Sarah

5/7/08 18:25  
Blogger Jamie Wodetzki said...

Yes, Sarah, I think the Peanut Buttery is a must-try. I will certainly be trying it when I get a chance.

6/7/08 02:27  
Blogger 2 SkOoPz oF My LiFe said...

I dunt kno u n u dun kno me 2, but i managed 2 find ur blog n i think it'z really nyc... :-)

16/7/08 22:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog used to be one of my most frequented sites, but I'm about to delete it from my favourites, as I've become as tired of it as you clearly have.

I guess you've moved on and we all should too.

Thanks for the great reviews, and I hope all your breakfasts are 15+.

19/7/08 15:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like a great biscuit in the morning. Buttery and rich. Mmmm! Loved this blog. Thanks.

26/7/08 10:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice place you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some images :).

26/1/10 03:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home