Monday, July 28, 2008

Deluxe Town Diner, Watertown

I'm just gonna eat my waffle right now - Barack Obama

Clearly the waffles at the Gilder Diner in Scranton, PA, are no match for the Deluxe Sour Cream Flapjacks at the Deluxe Town Diner, 627 Mount Auburn St, Watertown, MA, Tel +1 (617) 926-8400. Because there is no way you would leave a plate of the aforementioned Flapjacks half eaten. Like little fluffy clouds they are. Until you smother them in Vermont's finest, that is.

deluxe town diner colossus

And get this. Apparently the sweet potato pancakes are even better. That's according to one of the locals who saw me taking pictures and decided to share a few tips.

As with most of my diner experiences thus far, the scrambled eggs were a bit dry and the homefries unremarkable (I think they had chicken seasoning on them). But the sourdough toast was very good, the sausage patty was tasty, and the flapjacks were awesome. So... if Barack ever comes here and orders the Colossal Hungry Person's Breakfast, I recommend eating all of the flapjacks and leaving half the homefries and eggs.

deluxe

Actually, I recommend ordering a full stack of pancakes or waffles and eating the lot. The only dilemma will be deciding between sour cream buttermilk flapjacks, jo'nny cakes, potato pancakes, sweet potato pancakes, blue corn pancakes, or buckwheat ployes. You'll also need to decide between pecans, blueberries, bananas and dried cranberries. Or bacon. Mmmm... bacon.

And one more thing... they serve real tea in pots. Tea bags are so not cool.

16/20 "fluffycakes"

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez - they still make breakfast in Melbourne too. Any chance of you getting back here sometime to do a few reviews?

28/7/08 23:52  
Blogger s.phung said...

I came across the Melbourne Writer's Festival 2008 program recently, and there are a few events that I thought would interest other foodies like me. Here are some which caught my eye:

Dramatic Readings and a 3 course meal at Bottega Restaurant

4 course dinner, fine cheeses and wine at the Press Club (during which Chef George Calombaris is presenting his book 'The Press Club: Modern Greek Cookery')

Lunch at MoVida with Chef Camorra as he talks about his new book 'MoVida: Spanish Culinary Adventures'

Lunch at Seamstress as author Janet de Neef talks about Balinese food

Wine at Beer Deluxe with award-winning wine writer Campbell Mattinson, author of 'The Big Red Wine Book'

So if anyone is interested in food and writing, the program is online via www.mwf.com.au. I realise it doesn't strictly have anything to do with breakfast - but it's still food!

2/8/08 23:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know I think that your blog is just adorable. Unfortunately, I am a Melbournite so I have caught on at the tail end, but Mart130 on your recommendation was just gorgeous! Mmmm corn fritter.

Keep up the great work (love the photography and quirky one-line wrap ups!)

5/8/08 21:33  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet potato Pancakes? I am really interested in this recipe. What are the ingredients please?

12/8/08 23:49  
Blogger Miles McClagan said...

I think this is a long way from the fluffy butter of McDonalds Hobart...but when you are hungover, damn those pancakes are delicious

14/8/08 19:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home