Saturday, June 25, 2005

Spoonful, Prahran

Flicking through one of those airline mags recently, I was amused to discover that Geelong Grammar pop star Missy Higgins had named Spoonful, 543 High Street, Prahran, Tel +61 3 9521 5212, as one of her favorite Melbourne cafes. She must be an early riser (see my previous rant). This morning, we took Missy's advice and dropped by for some eggs.



Third time lucky, we arrived (1) in time for brekky (11.45 am cut off) and (2) when the place was open (closed Sunday). I'm glad we did. Not only were my scrambles very good, but the sourdough toast was the best I've had so far. Curiously, the bread came from the same place that Missy went to school, namely Geelong (La Madre Bakery, to be specific). They also served up some excellent sauteed mushrooms (dark, tasty and not wet), and a decent serve of "thin crisp" bacon (which was an original touch). Although there was no HP sauce, they did come through with some red onion chutney (at least, that's what it tasted like to me).

In addition to the usual fruits, mueslis and stuff-on-toast (eg, Persian fetta and roasted tomato on olive toast), the "Autumn menu" included a choice of three omelettes: Tom Cooper's smoked salmon, fresh tomato & oregano, or mushroom & parmesan.

The place itself has a good feel, with purple walls, cushioned banquette, and two spacious communal tables. The Genovese coffee is excellent (and arrives quickly), and the service friendly and efficient.

We were there on the weekend, so the crowd was a mix of young(ish) and old. But I'm guessing it fills up with ladies-who-lunch during the week. Botox latte anyone?

16/20 "best toast"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words. No breakfast.

Read your earlier review again.

15/10/06 23:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately they don't understand what tea cups should look like: widebrimmed is a NO NO for tea. Otherwise good. Also, when asked for a pot of hot water on the side, I got a little jug. Pity as I don't want to have to fight to get such a simple thing served properly at breakfast time!

30/5/08 23:27  
Anonymous survival games said...

Today I have been working very stressful and want a little entertainment. Hope helps me play the game fun again. Or I'll go out with a few friends. I think it would be better

29/6/17 18:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home