Saturday, March 25, 2006

Dench Bakers, North Fitzroy

For some reason, every time I see a Bomboloni my subconscious starts singing that old Gypsy Kings tune... Bomba-lo-niiii... Bomba-lo-niii... la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la laaaa... As you can see, Spanish is not my strong point. The other thing that happens every time I see a Bomboloni is that I eat one. This morning, this happened at Dench's Bakery Cafe, 109 Scotchmer Street, North Fitzroy, Tel +61 3 9486 3554. With places like this, it's easy to see why our friends from Sierra Leone might want to stay in Melbourne.



In truth, I didn't really need a Bomboloni. I had just wolfed down an excellent plate of creamy, chive-scrambled eggs on toasted brioche with a side of bacon and avocado. But in the interests of giving this review greater depth, I decided I should try something other than eggs.

As you'd expect, Dench's excels at pastries and toast: croissant (plain, chocolate or filled with ham, cheese and tomato); sweet and savoury muffins; egg and bacon pie; mushroom and thyme pie; stoneground toast; raisin toast; olive toast; fruit bun; escargot; and more.

The venue has a good buzz, but it's a tight squeeze and probably not ideal for groups bigger than 3 or 4. And I challenge anyone not to buy a loaf of bread as you leave.

16/20 "sourdough heaven"

score

Eggs & Bacon $8.50 BB100 -15%

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dench happy new year
can we place Cecconis Cantina on your list of restuarants serving your bread thanks maria

8/1/08 11:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

didn't enjoy dench..had a coffe a couple of times it was so so .. as far as the bread goes .. loafer is the absolute best .. and the coffees at the Tin Pot especially when that guy witht the black hair makes it is one of the best in melbourne ...and they make the most wicked riccotta pancakesoele

2/7/09 21:25  
Blogger Mike said...

Quality but they don't give it away.

(btw, my word verification was 'localism', which seems apt for this bakery/cafe.)

29/12/09 13:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home