Friday, February 24, 2006

e Gusto, Southbank

So much for the wisdom of crowds. This morning I followed the crowd to e Gusto, Southgate, Tel +61 3 9690 9819, where I was treated to the worst eggs benedict I've had in recent living memory. The eggs were poached solid, and the whole thing was coated in some bland, pale, pastel whitish-yellow "sauce" which they assured me was house-made hollandaise (I asked... twice). Amazing. House-made hollandaise that was almost indistinguishable from the stuff you might expect to find on a supermarket shelf.



No doubt the surfboard-shaped hash brown was house-made too.

Unfortunately, It's hard to say anything nice about e Gusto's breakfast performance. The service was so-so. There was a draft running past my tiny table, jammed against the kitchen wall. And I really can't get the whole "hollandaise" thing out of my head.

8/20 "not happy, Jan"

score

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not read a single positive review about this place! In fact they have all be very negative. Normally about both the food & the service. I'm amazed it is still open.

19/9/07 11:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dinner's no better. Truly dreadful. But isn't that just a reflection on the area? I hear Cecconi's, really a very good Italian upmarket, has hats, was kicked out of their spot along the river at Southbank to accommodate a franchise of one of those Sydney chains which passes for haute cuisine in that ignorant city. Rockpool, maybe? Cecconi's has been able to move to a great eating part of Melbourne: the top end of Flinder's Lane. May it thrive there.

30/5/08 23:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home