Sunday, January 18, 2009

Columbus Cafe and Bar, Boston

Maybe they do a great brunch at Columbus Cafe and Bar, 535 Columbus Avenue, Boston (South End), Tel +1 (617) 247-9001. And maybe Joaquin Pheonix will make a great rapper. Or maybe not. At the end of the day, these are matters of opinion.

maine eggs benedict

If you believe the opinions on Yelp, this place deserves 4 out of 5 stars and is good for brunch. One Yelper even rates the Maine Eggs Benedict her favorite brunch dish ever. As Flavor Fav would say, don't believe the hype. This just proves that too much opinion can be just as bad as too little. Because there is no way I would rate the eggs benny as anything other than a bare pass. The poached eggs were good, and the crab cakes weren't bad, but it was all downhill from there. The hollandaise was like cold whipped butter, completely devoid of tang. The muffins were absolutely rock hard and stale. The home fries were too greasy. And I really don't see the point of the cold slide of tomato.

I have no doubt that loyal locals will be spitting out their Vermont Scrambles or choking on their chorizo as they read this. So let me just say that I get that it's cozy, I liked the coffee, and the staff seemed very nice. My gripe is the food. Like Joaquin's rapping, it needs much work. In my humble opinion, of course.

13/20 "over hyped"

score

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Silver Bee said...

bleck.

that holly is so pale and insipid.

the word verification for my comment is eminia. which made me think of Eminem and what i think of the holly is pretty much what i think of Eminem when i compare him to Flav...

24/1/09 09:45  
Blogger Alicia said...

Hello! i arrived here looking for Pain dĀ“Epis in Paris. I commented sthing in that post but I leave this here because I wanted to tell you that your blog is cool. I really like that labels which classify the places (the one with eggs, service..)

See you!

25/1/09 20:25  
Blogger ruthibel said...

lol@msaims

that expeience doesnt sound too good at all tho...

5/2/09 08:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Jamie. I love reading your blog and always try to check out the places you review. I thought you might be interseted to know that apte cafe has just been announced as the winner of the Delicious Magazine National cafe of the year. Seems that you weren't alone in giving them a 20/20. Keep up the good work. Simone

7/2/09 17:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie.
I was about to post the same comment about apte. Seems that you were ahead of the pack when reviewing apte. I have gone there many times with my husband since your original review giving then 20/20 and have never been dissapointed. I have become a regular and are constantly amazed by the consistently high level of food and service, even when they are busy. The award for National Cafe of the year for Delicious is a great effort and truly deserved. Keep up the good work. Leanne.

14/3/09 17:49  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0625
kate spade outlet
pistons jerseys
chicago blackhawks jerseys
ugg boots clearance
polo outlet
cheap jordans
swarovski crystal
a bathing ape
pandora charms sale clearance
cleveland cavaliers jersey

25/6/18 12:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home