Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mr Tulk, Melbourne

Let's face it, if you're not in rehab, or recently out of rehab, you're nobody. Robbie. Pete. Britney. Keith. Lindsay. Jesse. Courtney. Even Ben Cousins. It was almost enough to make me down a bottle of Jack, score some ice, and do a few lines of coke for breakfast. But then I discovered the hash at Mr Tulk, 328 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Tel +61 3 8660 5700. Corned beef hash, to be specific.

mr tulk

First impressions are a bit confusing, with the sign outside instructing me to order at the bar. Then, when I rock up to the bar, they tell me it's table service if you eat inside. Oh... I guess I'll go find a seat. Service, it seems, is not a strong point.

Food, on the other hand, is a whole different story. Put simply, the corned beef hash with poached eggs was brilliant. Take a big fat cake of soft spud and finely diced corned beef and fry till golden and crispy. Top it with a pair of soft poached eggs and season lightly. Serve with a generous blob of mustard. Very, very yummy. Not very healthy. But much healthier than crystal meth.

Mr Tulk is also a very slick venue. It reminded me a bit of The Wolseley, with low leather banquettes, airy feel, high ceilings and buzzy vibe. Except that The Wolseley doesn't have a communal table surrounded by stools.

16/20 "best hash in town"

score

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Gala Darling said...

That looks good... review, review!

Also I have been to Brown Sugar a few times in the past week & have been utterly impressed by their food & their coffee. I moved here 6 months ago & the three coffees I've had there have been the best I've tasted in the city. I saw your (old) review was quite unfavourable, maybe you'd like to give them another shot?

Thanks anyway, keep up the good work, love your blog.

22/3/07 20:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Mr. Tulk. Haven't tried the poached eggs and hash, but the meatball foccacia and fruit salad with honeyed yoghurt are fantastic! Will try the poached egg this Saturday :)

23/3/07 00:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Ellie that Mr. Tulk's foccacia's are really fantastic (my favourite is the eggplant, prosciutto and cheese). I haven't had breakfast there either. Another one for the already exceedingly long list...

23/3/07 11:36  
Blogger liz said...

I love eggs benedict- no breakfast is better. I don't know if I could seriously eat eggs so often as you, so i am impressed (or is it disgusted, I can't quite decide just yet). But a good read regardless. Congrats on the bloggies award!

23/3/07 14:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award!

Mr Tulk is a great spot and i really should visit more often given that I live a block away. A tad on the noisy side when you're trying to have meetings but when they are willing to move people around to fit your group in, can't complain!

26/3/07 22:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try the black pudding dish that is a special! wow!
and hey ask them what happens on a friday night there??? do not publish the answer to this one as i am sure it will then stop happening!!!!

2/4/07 21:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice coffee

2/4/07 21:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sign outside about ordering at the bar is because outside there isn't table service and inside there is table service- your misunderstanding not their lack of quality service!

23/5/07 11:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home