Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bluecorn, St Kilda

For some reason, every corn tortilla I've had in Australia looks and tastes like an oversized mutant corn chip (crunchy, brittle and u-shaped). You can get soft flour tortillas. But soft corn tortillas are as elusive as drop-bears. And, as I discovered this morning, you can't even get proper blue corn tortillas at Bluecorn, 205 Barkly Street, St Kilda, Tel +61 3 9534 5996. Very disappointment. It's not like they're hard to make.

bluecorn

Luckily, when I grumbled about the crunchy, greasy corn "tortillas" they were quick to switch them for nice soft flour tortillas, so I could get on with enjoying my Sizzling Breakfast Fajita. Basically, you shovel stuff off your cast iron hot plate and onto each tortilla, add some sour cream and guacamole, roll it up and eat. Ingredients include scrambled eggs, bacon, chorizo, corn, red peppers, black beans, mushrooms, spinach, tomato and pine nuts. Very tasty and very filling.

The real problem is that once you've had Mexican food in California (and presumably Mexico, but my first hand experience doesn't extend that far), everything you get in Australia is second rate. Comparing Bluecorn with, say, La Taqueria is like comparing Salma Hayek with a Chihuahua. They're not really in the same league.

On a positive note, Bluecorn does seem to cater well to veggies, vegans and anyone trying to avoid lactose or gluten, and the menu is far from boring. Choices include: tortillas; waffles; fruit bread French toast; porridge with Cuban banana and lime jam; and poached eggs with creamed spinach and grilled ocean trout. They do a decent Genovese coffee, too.

12/20 "fajita"

score

Eggs & Bacon $11.00 BB100 +10%

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concede that Salma Hayek is no dog, and agree that La Taqueria is a breed apart. But you fail to note that while La Taqueria is renowned for flour tortilla burritos -- a perfect balance of top-grade ingredients, no superfluous produce fillers -- the real stars of this Mission Street landmark are the incomparable tacos. Smoky carne asada, melt-in-your mouth carnitas: heaven in a grilled soft corn tortilla.

13/3/07 12:50  
Blogger Jamie Wodetzki said...

Mmmm... tacos...

13/3/07 23:05  
Blogger Beauzo said...

Thanks for the insight/warning. I've just moved to St Kilda, and have walked past Bluecorn a few times and meant to see what its like. Maybe I'll lower my expectations before entering.
BTW, congratualtions on the Bloggie award...it gives hope to an up-and coming food blogger like me :)

14/3/07 01:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm. I love Mexican and live in St Kilda so have repeatedly tried Bluecorn.

A few lacklustre dishes were followed by a recent more crushing experience where I probably had the both the worst food and worst service I've known in Melbourne!

The avocado in my meal was plainly past its due date, there was zero love or flavour and the waiter really didn't seem concerned.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather Taco Bills any day!

14/8/07 17:11  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bambi I agree. We went along last Saturday and had a terrible experience that ended with us leaving after an altercation with the waiter!!
The food was good, for those of us that got what we ordered, or got a meal at all! But the lack of concern for those of us with incorrect orders or plainly no food arriving was astounding. Add to that some VERY expensive and poorly made cocktails and you get a very bad way to start an otherwise pleasant Saturday night in St Kilda.

14/8/07 22:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with Japanese food. I went to Japan and I couldn't have Japanese food since without thinking why did I even bother?!

But having said that, I went to Blue Corn once a couple of years ago and found it to be rather fantastic.

19/6/09 15:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home