Saturday, March 24, 2007

Birdman Eating, Fitzroy

In the famous words of Captain Arnold Rimmer, "Smoke me a kipper skipper, I'll be back for breakfast." Because breakfast is good at Birdman Eating, 238 Gertrude Street, Fitzroy, Tel +61 3 9416 4747. Even the grilled kippers with horseradish butter and fried spuds. If you like fish for breakfast, that is.

birdman eating kippers

Quite salty little fellas, the kippers. But not something I plan to make a habit of. Next time, I think I'll try the cheese kransky with bubble and squeak and poached eggs. Or the hot cinnamon doughnuts with chocolate sauce. Or maybe the baked eggs, which come in four flavours. Some kind of house specialty I think.

Apparently the name of this place was inspired by the Birdman Rally, where crazy people jump off a bridge and attempt to fly down the Yarra. They all end up in the Yarra, of course, which is about as good for you as going for a swim in a sewerage treatment plant. I only hope this morning's kippers weren't made with Yarra herring.

Birdman is a cosy little venue, with friendly staff, good Genovese coffee, and very dinky tea sets. Just remember to wait 30 minutes after breakfast before you go swimming in the Yarra.

16/20 "kippers"

score

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, breakfasts for early birds at Birdman Eating are really good, especially the New York style baked eggs (available all day).
However, if you are a night owl ,I can recommend the 'tapas' style menu which goes from lunch to dinner late. Very innovative, very yummy. Try it!

28/3/07 14:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I generally wait longer than 30 minutes before swimming in the Yarra.

I've been waiting my entire life so far, and still waiting....

31/3/07 09:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, makes my mouth water. lol

31/3/07 10:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haloumi i had and delicious it was. maybe when i get there earlier next time i will try me a kipper skipper.

2/4/07 21:37  
Blogger Jmc said...

Tried Birdman this morn, not an overly joyous experience.

I had the banana bread was supposed to be toasted yet arrived on a small plate, soggy and tasted like damp butter.
My other half had the crumpets and honey, which were incredibly dense and doughy for one to enjoy first thing in the morning.

The staff were attentive in filling your empty water glass yet ignored us for a good amount of time while we had our bill sitting on the edge with the money on top of it. Normally this wouldn't bug me but it's just poor business when you have people waiting outside for a table!

Surprisingly popular yet have absolutely no desire to go backā€¦

13/4/08 16:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birdman Eating has good food and was, shortly after opening, a pretty good place to grab breakfast. The cheese kransky is a perfect bit of winter comfort food. Unfortunately, it got written up in The Age and has since been flooded by the"Brighton Set" (or wannabes) complete with power strollers and designer-clothed children. Screaming ankle biters and nonchalant parents are not my idea of a relaxing weekend morning, so have not gone back for some months now.

21/6/08 17:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having eaten at Birdman Eating over the weekend I have just one thing to say....PLEASE OPEN UP IN PHILLIP ISLAND!!
Oh, one more thing, which means I have two things to say....The staff were brilliant!
I will be back !

13/10/08 12:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home