Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Beetroot, Melbourne

I wouldn't recommend eating beetroot for breakfast. But I would recommend eating breakfast at Beetroot, 123 Hardware Street, Melbourne, Tel +61 3 9600 0695. Especially if you like bircher muesli. They do a very thick and fruity bircher topped with berries and a generous sprinkling of whole pistachios. Yum.

bircher

Beetroot is all nice and white and modern and sleek, like an iPod. It's more of a Sydney look than a Melbourne look, but luckily it comes with friendly Melbourne service. They also score bonus points for quirky details, like serving a chocolate freckle with your coffee. Or maybe a micro-muffinette (the tiniest I've ever seen).

Despite naming itself after a root vegetable, Beetroot seems best at the sweet stuff: French toast stuffed with berries and topped with marscapone; fresh mango cheek with yoghurt, toasted almonds and granola; or toasted banana and hazelnut bread with golden syrup butter. And that's just a taste.

About the only "opportunity for improvement" is the eggs. The scrambled eggs were nice and creamy (Bills-style), but you should tell people if they're laced with pesto (lucky for me, I quite like a bit of pesto). The problem was the toast. It was a whole slab of Turkish pide, uncut and seemingly untoasted (it was hard to tell). Maybe they lost the breadknife?

16/20 "best bircher"

score

Eggs & Bacon $7.50 BB100 -25%

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Almost Vegetarian said...

Funny, I just posted an entry on muesli on my site. Your picture is much (much) prettier than my picture. Of course, I'd go anywhere for such a sweet strawberry!

8/2/07 08:33  
Blogger Cindy said...

"They also score bonus points for quirky details, like serving a chocolate freckle with your coffee."

... and when I was there last year, tufts of Persian fairy floss on my hot chocolate. (Mmm, my first Melbourne hot chocolate, made with dark chocolate chunks and steamed milk.)

8/2/07 10:29  
Blogger dan said...

umm... you clearly havn't eaten the 'summer breakfast' at small block, replete with ruby red beetroot relish. unfortunately, at this juncture in time we could be renaming 'small block', 'small serves', but with beets this good, i dont give a damn.

8/2/07 10:54  
Blogger Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Great picture. But I think your opening comment was a bit unfair on beetroot (the root vegetable). From, a beetroot lover.

8/2/07 17:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A suggestion - perhaps explore the Eastern suburbs a bit more. I'm sure you'll find wonderful breakfast spots around Canterbury, Doncaster, Glen Waverley. Many of your places are inner-city and kinda inconvenient to get to from where I live!!
I look forward to more reviews. Keep it up

9/2/07 13:24  
Blogger KittyMeow said...

Oooh I have to check this place out. I'm salivating at the thought of berry stuffed french toast! ;-D
I love your blog and will stop just lurking from now on.

:-D

27/2/07 14:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped by Beetroot for brekky this morning, and well enjoyed the experience. The peach micro-muffin with my coffee was absolutely delightful, and the wicked banana and hazelnut bread with golden syrup butter ((insert Homer Simpson-esque salivating noise here)) was gooooood.

Funky venue, good schtick from the staff. Loved it.

9/3/07 09:09  
Blogger hyacoda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

26/7/07 15:34  
Blogger ServesYouRight said...

Stopped by Beetroot on a slow weekday morning and LOVED it. Thanks for the review! I've so enjoyed my trip to Melbourne and loved your blog. Keep writing!

Smita

2/12/07 20:52  
Blogger Sim said...

I just had bfast at this place in Fairfield called Romano's Oh my god the best brekky ever!! Green eggs with fetta on large crusty yummy sourdough and my partner had a claypot of beans in salsa with poached eggs on top... homemade cereal and most importantly coffee was to die for you need to visit this place regards Sim

2/7/09 11:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home