Friday, January 20, 2006

Cafe Segovia, Melbourne

Cafe Segovia, Block Place, Melbourne, Tel +61 3 9650 2373. For lunch and dinner, it's Maria Sharapova. The complete package. For breakfast, it's more like Anna Kournikova. Nice looks, but not really a contender.



I ordered a serve of Eggs Milanese, hoping for a cross-court winner. Unfortunately, it sailed wide. The scrambled eggs had been cooked just right, with just a touch of softness, but the addition of caramelised onion and parmesan seemed to give the dish a strong eggy flavour, which didn't work for me. I was also disappointed with the side of roasted tomato, which was under-cooked and hard. The bacon and toast were fine.

I must admit, I did have high expectations for this morning's breakfast. Segovia is, after all, where it all began for the Nick Bollettieri of the Melbourne cafe scene, Con Christopolous. Since then, he's had his fingers in Degraves, European and Benito's, to name a few. All great venues. So I'm inclined to give the Segovia breakfast another shot. It would be a shame to see a champion go down on a dodgy line call.

Did I mention that the Australian Open is on right now? Who'd have guessed.

14/20 "eggy"

score

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bring back christopoulos

5/9/06 23:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the two Scots girls are absolutely brilliant!!

22/3/08 14:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big size servings and tasty, my latte was spot on and service on the friendly side......

27/3/08 19:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's just say that the lunch is a sh!t as the breakkie when I went there last Sat. Don't waste your money there!

15/6/08 23:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Segovia has plummetted since Con Christopolous sold it. I went for a late lunch and had a dreadfully overpriced foccacia teamed with a disappointing Ceaser salad that had skanky brown-tinged lettuce leaves in it. My friend had overcooked pasta with a watery tomato sauce. Coffee was fine. I have fond memories of Segovia kick-starting the laneway-cafe phenomenon but that was years ago now and Segovia is best left to the tourists who want to see our laneway culture and haven't been told better.

4/7/08 10:25  
Blogger Amoir said...

Went this morning and actually sent back my eggs benedict after a tidal of egg white gushed out upon slicing. Nice coffee, nice service but resting on some very depleted laurels.

31/8/08 14:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home