Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Mess Hall, Melbourne

God knows what I was doing up at 6.30 this morning. But I was. So I treated myself to breakfast at the Mess Hall, 51 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Tel +61 3 9654 6800. Not only were the eggs very good, but the salt had come all the way from Sicily... Iblea sea salt. Accept no substitute.



Actually, I couldn't give a rat's about the salt, but the scrambles were good. Buttery not greasy. I was also impressed with the bacon, which was finely sliced and flame grilled, and a perfecly ripe side of avocado (with lemon). Hard to fault.

The Mess Hall is simple and stylish. Simple food: crumpets with honey; bircher muesli; French toast; eggs and bacon. Stylish venue: white walls; timber floors; rustic 2nd-hand chairs. Good service too. Relaxed but efficient.

16/20 "mmm... bacon"

score

1 Comments:

Blogger Amoir said...

It's not a bad breakfast locale and is wonderfully relaxed on the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by the mushrooms (nice flavour, rare caramelisation and warm as opposed to the mushroom's usual breakfast fate) and the mild but beautiful tasting coffee. However, the bacon was woefully overcooked and retained little succulence.

31/8/08 14:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home