Saturday, April 08, 2006

Palate, Prahran

With so much wank on your average modern menu it's nice to find a bit of wit. So with snappy titles like "Starvin Marvin" (the big breakfast) and "Halfa Marvin" (a half serve), you've gotta love the menu at Palate, 132 Greville Street, Prahran, Tel +61 3 9521 5540. But imagine my surprise when there, in the middle of the "Halfa Marvin", is what would appear to be a "Halfa Chubby". It's enough to put a bloke off his eggs.



I couldn't help but wonder how Trey Parker would feel about having a plate of eggs named after one of his creations. Rip-off or flattery? Is Palate passing itself off as an approved provider of South Park merchandise? What next? Kenny's Creamed Corn? Wendy's Testa-burger? Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls? Luckily, Trey's lawyers are too busy doing battle with Tom's lawyers to be worried by such trivialities right now.

But I digress.

Despite being a very slick venue, the food at Palate was a bit disappointing. The hash browns were fresh from the freezer. The sausage was a flashback to Qantas economy. The hollandaise was light-on. And the eggs, while fresh, were a bit under-poached.

On a positive note, the coffee was very good (and very strong), and service was fine.

13/20 "halfa marvin"

score

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth is that thing on the bottom right?

8/4/06 14:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snags, chubbies, a morning glory, chocolate salty balls.......was it South Park, or an episode of Sex and The City? Reminds me of a dessert surprise I had at Tho Tho years ago. Anyone tried the (vertical)Banana Fritter and (2 balls of)Fried Ice Cream 'special'? It was big enough to poke your eye out!

9/4/06 18:33  
Blogger Jamie Wodetzki said...

Who knows? Maybe Lorena Bobbitt was working in the kitchen?

10/4/06 09:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations for your blog!!!
I like chocolate very much for breakfast!!!
On my blog you can listen my voice and my music. All my italian songs are a present for you and all your friends.
My e-mail:a_pintucci@virgilio.it
www.pinta-vampiro.blogspot.com

11/4/06 18:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

with so much wank... I couln't help but wonder... but I digress.
:]
Great post... caught me off guard!
Tee hee he!

13/4/06 19:39  
Anonymous price per head said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here

13/7/12 09:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home