Saturday, November 26, 2005

Galleon Cafe, St Kilda

If there's one brekky spot that's old school St Kilda, it's the St Kilda Galleon Cafe, 9 Carlisle Street, Tel +61 3 9534 8934. It's been there a long time. It's sufficiently "Off Ackland" to prevent tourists stumbling in by mistake. It's decked out in antique laminex. And it's veggo-friendly. So I gave the pig a day off, and tried my luck with the sweet-potato, basil and fetta hash browns. Not bad at all.



Which got me thinking. There's something quite wrong with the term "tree-hugging veggo". I mean, if you're a tree-hugger, and therefore a plant-lover, how is it that you can rip an innocent bunch of spinach from the ground, starve the poor fellas till they die, or worse, slice them up and boil them alive. It's barbaric. A true tree-hugger really ought to stick with the stuff that falls off the plant through natural causes. An apple lying on the ground, for example. Or some peas that fell from their pod.

Speaking of veggos, most people already know that Moby and Gwynneth are plant-murderers. You may even know that Einstein and da Vinci were too. But guess who else has gone veggo? Meatloaf. It's true. I read it on the Internet. Coming soon to a record store near you... "Nutloaf's Greatest Hits".

Anyway, back to my hash browns, which were served with spinach (sauteed alive), an excellent poached egg, and a splodge of house-made relish. The presentation was excellent, and the flavours worked well. But (for me) the hash browns were a little disappointing. It's not that I didn't enjoy them (I did). It's just that, on the inside, the grated strands of sweet potato were still a little crunchy, and not all soft and mushy (my personal preference).

If hash browns aren't your thing, don't worry. Since the 189 Espresso crew took over at the Galleon, the menu is oozing with excellent options for veggos and meat-lovers alike. There's vegan beans or Jonathan's snags. Scrambled tofu or meatballs on toast. Banana bread or Benedict. The list goes on. One of the best menu's I can remember, and I've seen a few in the last 12 months.

About my only complaint is speed. When the place is full, service is slow. But good things are worth waiting for.

17/20 "Moby friendly"

score

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

new bloody mary list at the gal is the bomb. 'don't rock the boat' is their twist on the classic, but my favourite is 'spanish galleon' (with an olive). it fixed my hangover, while my sober-as girlfriend had the virgin version of 'muscle mary' (with lots of veg added). also the truffled eggs... hhhmmm.... very nice...

6/4/10 16:10  
Blogger zzyytt said...

yeezy shoes
jordan shoes
off white hoodie
adidas nmd
adidas yeezy
hermes online shop
birkin bag
vans shoes
balenciaga
adidas tubular shadow

12/10/18 17:54  
Anonymous Obat Mata Kabur dan Berbayang said...



Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. I also want to share the following health articles, God willing, useful. Thank you :)

Obat Ginjal Bocor Tradisional
Obat Kanker Lambung Herbal

26/11/18 23:59  
Blogger Susan said...

You ought to indulge in a contest for one of the finest blogs on the internet. I am going to suggest this great site! A huge collection of all the Celebrity net worth of the world. How much is celebrity worth? Compare yourself to your favorite celebrity.

15/6/20 20:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home