Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Green Grocer, North Fitzoy

Was it a stern letter from the ACCC? Or was it Tullster's grumbling comments on the Breakfast Blog? Whatever the reason, the word "big" was conspicuously absent from today's breakfast menu at The Green Grocer, 217 St Georges Road, North Fitzroy, Tel +61 3 9489 1747. The breakfast formerly known as "Big" is now officially known as the "Grocer's Breakfast". But as we all know, size isn't important. It's what you do with your biodynamic sausage that counts.



The Grocer's Breakfast may be a down-sized version of its big brother, but I was pleased to discover that food quality is still up there with the best. Very nice poached egg (singular). Tasty little herb and fetta pancake. Perfectly ripe wedge of avocado. A steaming pile of cooked spinach. And a light drizzle of basil pesto. I would, however, have preferred more than one tiny mushroom, one sliver of bacon (not even a full rasher), and one chicken-nugget-sized hash brown.

The other problem is price. The base model GB is $16. But upgrade that with a single sausage and some orange onion relish, and you're paying $19.70 for a not-quite-big breakfast (coffee not included).

I now wish I'd ordered the omelette madam, one of the daily specials: a buttery omelette with free range, naturally smoked ham, mustard, fresh horseradish and Piano Hill tasty cheese, served with GG tomato sauce. If it was anything like the GG croque madame I had a few months ago, this would have been delicious.

3 Comments:

Blogger GS said...

Wow, that has been downsized. The pancake used to fill the plate and the whole thing overflowed. What a sad day!

15/10/06 20:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the serious downsizing of Greengrocer's breakfasts!
Last time we were there (and I mean LAST time) I was lamenting that I forgot to bring my electron microscope with me,so tiny had the corn fritter breakfast become.
The food is tasty,but the value for money has gone out the window.
I guess someone has to pay for the snazzy new counter at the back and the 5 chefs in the kitchen!!!

16/10/06 13:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I checked GG out on Sunday morning. The Grocer's Breakfast was very elegantly sized, I definitely second the remarks about more mushrooms and hash browns not going astray.

Then scarcely had I emptied my post prandial coffee and a little tray containing what I thought might be a bill was whacked on my table. But no, the staff weren't even going to let me know how much money they wanted by way of giving me the heave-ho, it was simply the waiter's dockets with no prices added. The message was clear, "Take this to the register on your way out!"

Fortunately there are many other places in this fine town where I can enjoy equivalent food and probably more of it for this kind of money without surly staff pushing me out the door. I'll not be back to GG.

21/9/07 18:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home