Sunday, August 07, 2005

Tinpot Cafe, North Fitzroy

I must remember to wear my macrame beanie next time I visit North Fitzroy. Maybe a nice brown and green number, made from 100% organic hemp. The perfect outfit for a visit to Tinpot Cafe, 248 St George's Road, Tel +61 3 9481 5312.



The highlight of my brekky was an excellent Redlich sausage served with some home-made tomato relish. I really felt like a good banger this morning, and this one hit the spot. The scrambled eggs and sauteed mushrooms were also very good. So, no complaints from me.

There were, however, quite a few complaints from the other side of the table when the "eggs at sea" dropped anchor. The eggs were hard poached. The salmon had jumped ship. And the tide was out on the hollandaise.

Despite these glitches, Tinpot seems more likely to serve up a hit than a miss. On top of all the usual egg stuff, the menu includes things like a "Roman Sandwich" of herb toast topped with spinach, mushrooms and parmesan, "Brad's Bacon Bagel Burger" with beetroot amongst other things, and a special of smokey bacon baked beans. Just don't make the mistake of ordering a side of beans, since they will be served fresh from the can. They even do plain old weetbix. Cool.

The venue is classic mis-matched retro, and the service, coffee and value are all good. Not quite as good as the Green Grocer across the road, but a good plan B if you're in the area.

14/20 "nice bangers"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a bloody fantastic, eggs benadict, brekky at the tin pot this morning. The best holandaise I've ever had. Wanted a side of baked beans (even caned ones) But to my surprise they where of the excellent home made variety so they must have started making there own.
The Coffee (genevese beans) was also excellent.

19/10/06 21:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Tin pot .. feel like I'm still at home .... always had good food ,on one occasion I wasn't happy with my dish.I suppose it happens I;m a chef ..and I know all to well that it can happen.. but I mentioned it to the girl serving me and they made me up another one it was great
...Fuck I'd like to see some of you folks try to cook

2/7/09 21:31  
Anonymous inspiredbycoffee said...

mitte is hands down the best place to get brunch in Fitzroy North. the chick pea bake thing with coriander salad, poached eggs and avocado on dench bread freaking rocks my world!!!

:o)

16/7/09 20:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home